Search for answers or browse our knowledge base.
Which Additional Topics Does SAFe SSM Certification Introduce for CSM-Certified Professionals?”
If you’ve already obtained a Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) certification and are contemplating pursuing the SAFe® Scrum Master (SSM) certification, you’ll discover that the SSM certification encompasses a broader range of topics and practices, extending beyond the standard CSM curriculum. In our assessment, approximately 30 % of the content in the SSM certification overlaps with what you’ve already covered in your CSM training. While your CSM certification provides a solid foundation, the SSM course takes a deeper dive into how Scrum is applied within the SAFe framework.
Below, we present an in-depth analysis of the subjects included in the SAFe Scrum Master (SSM) certification. We’ll also point out areas where there might be overlap with your Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) certification. This comprehensive list will assist you in grasping the content outline of the SAFe SSM Certification.
Lesson 1: Introducing Scrum in SAFe
- Introduction to Scrum in SAFe.
- Differentiating roles: Scrum Master vs. Scrum Master/Team Coach.
- Understanding work in process (WIP) and its negative impacts. ( Overlap )
- Overview of the Agile Manifesto. ( Overlap )
- Comparing Agile and traditional development methods. ( Overlap )
- Key concepts in Scrum. (three pillars, Scrum Values ) ( Overlap )
- Understanding Iteration and Incremental Development ( Overlap )
- Core values of SAFe.
- SAFe Team and ART Roles
Lesson 2: Characterizing the Role of the Scrum Master
- Scrum Master role in Team Development ( Overlap )
- Scrum Master role in Iteration Execution ( Overlap )
- Scrum Master in PI Planning.
- Leadership style of Scrum Master ( Overlap )
- Collaboration between Scrum Master and RTE for PI Objectives.
- Scrum Master role in ART Execution
- Addressing team dysfunctions and Conflict Resolutions ( Overlap )
Lesson 3: Experiencing PI Planning (No Overlap )
- Importance of PI Planning in the ART framework.
- Aligning development with business vision.
- Dependency management in PI Planning.
- Understanding PI Objectives.
- Importance of personas and story writing best practices.
- Distinguishing Refactors and Spikes.
- Estimation techniques and the Scrum Master’s role.
- PI planning Facilitation
Lesson 4: Facilitating Iteration Execution
- Setting and understanding capacity in iteration planning. ( Overlap )
- Story analysis and estimating process. ( Overlap )
- Iteration goals and their benefits. ( Overlap )
- Role of the Scrum Master in Iteration Planning. ( Overlap )
- Visualization tools and their significance.( Overlap )
- Backlog management and refinement. ( Overlap )
- Role of the Iteration Review. ( Overlap )
- Cultivating continuous improvement in Agile Teams. ( Overlap )
- Iteration Metrics and DevOps in SAFe.
Lesson 5: Finishing the PI (No Overlap )
- Coaching the IP Iteration.
- Preparing for the Inspect & Adapt event.
- Assessing team performance post a PI.
- Problem-solving workshop insights.
If you’re considering enrolling in the SAFe Scrum Master (SSM) program to further your Scrum journey, please take a moment to review our upcoming schedule. We are committed to ensuring your mastery of the Scrum Master role within the SAFe framework.